We certainly do not have to look at the calendar to know that autumn is upon us. While walking around the homestead I am amazed at how many leaves have already fallen to the ground and need to be raked and put into the compost pile. Leaves and nature in general can sometimes bring out the best in a piece of wood as it did in this lapel pin.
Out of the studio this week came some fine nature inspired jewelry. First butterflies hand worked from some left over burl with silver wire for antennae. Then yesterday it was a slice of Bloodwood. The most awesome shade of red that so reminded us of the fallen maple leaves that it just begged to be carved.
So with chisel in hand this maple leaf emerged. After the initial shape was made the veins were carved in on the face. The veins, along with the entire edge of the leaf, was slightly burned to give a bit more definition to this 3 ½” pin. A ¾” pin clasp is glued to the back, while a soft coat of finish was applied to give it a gentle glow and protection.
|#454 Bloodwood Leaf Pin|
So dress up your fall wardrobe with a reminder of the connection you have with nature and earth this season. This as all of the work that comes from the studio is one of a kind. With that in mind and the approaching holidays if you would like to purchase it or need more information and pictures please contact us via our email address.
Other news to keep you going:
- More pieces have been posted to our WoodArt Studio on Etsy.
- We hope to be set up at the C’Ville Arts Gallery in Charlottesville, VA in the next week or two.
- We are celebrating Oktoberfest this week at the Harrisonburg Farmers Market with 10% off our entire inventory that we bring to market. If you can’t make it down and need to have something that we do usually bring to market contact us by Sunday night and let’s see what we can do for you. Remember that we ship throughout the USA.
- Harrisonburg Farmers Market made the local news last night so if you want to see a bit of what our market looks like then click here on 1 on 1 Harrisonburg Farmers Market.
- For all of you market attendees who can’t seem to get to some of our other venues we have started the “Other Venue Book” that will contain pictures of what we do display in these other spots. If it is something that you are further interested in we can make arrangements to have you see it in person.
Until next we meet…