Friday, October 19, 2012

These are a Few of my Favorite Woods

During the few years that Steve has been turning and carving wood I have seen some of the prettiest pieces go into and come out of the studio. You know the end product is oh so beautiful but the start of it can be just as wonderful.

To see the log roll out of the Jeep and into the studio is a joy to behold. Some of the wood gets squared off and sealed on the ends right away and other pieces he just can't wait to get the tool into. When we lived in NY, Yellowheart was my favorite. Maybe that was because living there you couldn't just walk around the neighborhood and find a dead tree on the side of the road. In fact I will never understand why so many New Yorkers would cut down beautiful live trees and then spend exorbitant amounts of money to replant another tree just as large. Oh well.
Now that we are down here in the south other woods have taken over the race for my favorite. It was and probably will still be Osage Orange. The warmth in the color is just magnificent. We are blessed to have some friend who has this tree on their property and have offered it to us from time to time. The latest piece from this tree is our #799 Osage Orange Goblet found in the Studio Gallery. It is just the right size to hold in your hand filled to the brim with your favorite drink. I also think it would look great on your desk holding my favorite candy…M&M's.

#798 Plum Spirit Fire Necklace
SOLD
But now for this month's favorite wood… Plum. Steve was fortunate to again have some wonderful friends at the Harrisonburg Farmers Market offer us some of their plum tree limbs. My oh my is that a beautiful wood. Now because you know this is Debbie writing you will find that I am only chatting about the beauty of the wood. Steve does tell me that any of these fruit trees are great for carving and turning but for this blog it is all about the prettiness. So anyway this plum is absolutely gorgeous. It has just the slightest hint of pink emerging from the grain. I love pink! Who doesn't?
As you can easily see in this Spirit Fire Necklace the pink makes for the tongues of fire. What a perfect gift it will make. You just need to decide for whom.
Until next we meet... choose the right branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment